It takes more than age to make it a classic.
A collector car isn’t just a way to get around. It’s an investment that will continue to appreciate in coming years.
Not all classic or antique cars are used the same, so Carriage Insurance will work with you to select the appropriate policy to accommodate coverage needs, miles driven, vehicle age, and vehicle modifications to make sure you have the best policy to meet your needs. Here are some features you should look for when shopping for classic car insurance:
- Agreed Value: This means the provider will pay you the full (agreed to) amount in the event of a covered total loss, less any applicable deductible. This type of coverage is much better than “actual cash value” or “stated value” that you may get with some companies.
- Low Rates: Why pay full-time insurance when you driver your collector car only part-time.
- Coverage Options: Not all collector cars are the same, so Carriage Insurance can work with you to determine the right amount of coverage to meet your specific needs.
- Generous Mileage: You’re proud of your collector car, so drive it. Not all insurance companies have a mileage limit, but most collector cars should be driven less than 5,000 annual miles to maintain their value.
- Roadside Assistance: Whether you’re down the street or on a classic rally through the mountains, you’ll want to find coverage that will flatbed your car to the closest qualified repair facility.
Hagerty Collector & Classic Car Insurance
We’re as passionate about cars as you are. Our deep knowledge of cars and their owners allows us to offer you better classic car insurance coverage for less.
Guaranteed Value® Coverage
In the event of a covered total loss, you receive every cent of your car’s insured value.* No depreciation. No messing around. No hassle.
Our policy allows you occasional pleasure use with no fixed mileage restrictions**. With Hagerty, you can go for a weekend drive, take your vehicle up to the local ice cream shop or attend unlimited events and cruises.
Hagerty Plus® is designed specifically for collector cars. It is a comprehensive 24/7 full service roadside assistance program for lockouts, battery jumps, tire changes, emergency fuel delivery and more — guaranteeing flatbed towing with soft straps.
Hagerty Plus® is a comprehensive full-service roadside program designed specifically for classic cars.
Program features include:
- Guaranteed flatbed towing with soft straps
- Dispatch operators who understand and care about classic cars
- 24 hours a day, 7 days a week coverage in U.S. and Canada
- Dispatch for lockouts, battery jumps & tire changes
- Annual subscription to Hagerty magazine
- Members can email "Ask Hagerty" with collector car-related questions
- Membership helps support the RPM Foundation and Historic Vehicle Association
Expert Claims Handling
Our in-house parts specialists can help you track down replacement LKQ, OEM, or NOS parts — if they’re out there, we’ll find them. Hagerty maintains an extensive list of resources for hard-to-find parts — ask our carcierge!
*Figure based upon 2017 consumer data collected by Hagerty on single car quotes, with premiums $5000 and under, from several daily driver (or “Everyday”) auto insurance carriers.
You'll Save Money
Because we specialize in collector car insurance, our premiums are up to 40% lower* than daily driver insurance.
Unparalleled Service and Knowledge
We know collectible cars, so you deal with real people who understand your car and your needs.
We Care About our Future
At Hagerty, we believe it is our responsibility to support organizations and initiatives that help make sure the vehicles we love — and the lifestyles that revolve around them — not only survive, but thrive, well into the future. We are dedicated to supporting car culture through our suite of Youth Programs and support of the RPM Foundation and Historic Vehicle Association.
What is the difference between Agreed Value and Stated Value Insurance coverage?
An Agreed Value policy -- the same as Hagerty’s Guaranteed Value™ policy --guarantees that you will receive the full insured amount of the vehicle (with no depreciation, and including all sales taxes), in the event of a covered total loss.
In contrast, a Stated Value policy (sometimes called “stated amount” or “maximum limit of liability”) does not promise to pay the full vehicle value that’s indicated or “stated” on the policy. With regard to a covered total loss, you may receive less than that stated amount, because the insurer has the right to pay either your vehicle’s depreciated actual cash value OR the cost to replace your vehicle -- whichever is less. Also, many insurers that offer stated value policies (typically standard insurers) require periodic appraisals to affirm the insured amount, adding cost and inconvenience to the client.
How is classic car insurance different from regular car insurance?
Classic car insurance offers some key benefits compared to daily driver or “regular“ insurance.
We understand your car is a prized passion and will be driven with great caution, so we adjust the premiums accordingly -- 40% lower on average than daily driver insurance. With a daily driver insurance policy, your classic may be rated like a regular-use vehicle, and you’ll be charged as if you were driving the vehicle every day.
More commonly known as “Agreed Value” coverage, it means you tell us the value of your classic and we’ll affirm that it’s a fair, accurate number. Then, we GUARANTEE that value will be paid to you in the event of a covered total loss. Regular car insurance carriers offer Actual Cash Value or Stated Value coverage, which may depreciate the value of your vehicle in the event of a claim, resulting in a smaller payout than you anticipate.
No Fixed Mileage
Our policy allows you flexible usage -- with no fixed mileage limits. Even if you have full coverage through a regular car insurance carrier, there may be mileage and usage restrictions to control how and when your classic is driven.
There are several more benefits classic car policy holders enjoy, visit our Compare to Daily Driver Insurance section to see some more.
What classic cars qualify for coverage?
We cover all kinds of classic cars, trucks and other vehicles, including antiques autos, collector and vintage cars, some modified and newer vehicles (sometimes called “modern classics” or “future classics”), in addition to motorcycles and many different kinds of specialty vehicles. Qualification depends on usage, storage and driving record. For more information, view our Driver Eligibility page.